What makes a successful small business owner
Ever think some businesses are just destined to succeed? Maybe they’ve got a great product or maybe they found a real niche and sales just took off. You may be surprised to know that small business success actually has more to do with the person running the show than with the product or service itself.
So what does it take to succeed in small business?We’ve taken a good hard look at all the shining lights out there to determine what they have in common.
Here’s our list of the qualities that make a successful small business owner. Read on to find out it you’ve got what it takes…
- Passion. Small business ownership can be a hard and lonely road to travel, and sometimes pure passion is the only thing that keeps you going.
- Strong work ethic. If you really want your business to thrive, you have to be prepared to work for it because no one else will care as much as you.
- Clarity. A crystal clear vision will help keep you focused along the way when distractions and curveballs try to throw you off course.
- Adaptability. The ability to respond quickly to change is crucial for a business to survive in a changing marketplace.
- Drive. A drive to succeed almost goes without saying, but this includes being goal-oriented (short and long-term) and being driven to push yourself personally (professional educations).
- Perseverance. Successful small business owners know that failure
- Self-awareness. Pretending to have all the answers will only lead to disaster. You’ve got to know when to ask for help – no one person has all the answers.
- Self-belief. Remember the little engine that could? Believe in yourself, and others will too.
Something else to consider is what’s not on the list: academic ability. How academic you are or how well you did at school has very little bearing on how successful your business will be. While having the traits above is still no guarantee of success, one thing’s for sure, they will take you much further than your old exam results will.
If you think you’ve got what it takes, here are the nine steps to buying a business.Share this article:
- Buying a business can be a great investment
- How to buy a business?
- Find a job or buy a business
- Top tips when buying a business
- Why you should be your own boss
- 5 things that keep business owners up at night
- Choice chance and change
- What makes a successful small business owner
- Be your own boss
- Owning a business
- Retail business, but not as we know it
- Mistakes to avoid when buying a business
- How to measure business success
- Do I need an Accountant?
- Before buying a trucking business
- Finding the right franchise for sale opportunity
- Better small business success
- Hotels for sale and buying one
- Work from home in a home based business
- New Zealand business migration business visas
- Business visas - buying a New Zealand business
- Researching franchise opportunities
- Why buy a franchise business opportunity
- 10 things to know before you buy a business
- Buying a hotel or motel
- Buying a shop or retail business
- Buying a cafe or restaurant
- About buying a service business
- About buying a retail business
- About buying a distribution business
- About buying a manufacturing business
- Why now is good for buying a business
- Buying an existing business
- Finding the right business to buy