Rotherham Hotel FHGC for Sale Rotherham Hurunui
Substantial Iconic Hotel, Bar, Café & Campervan Park on the market after 3 decades
+ SAV + GST (if any)
Business for Sale Description
Rotherham Hotel FHGC for Sale Rotherham Hurunui
“Calling all profit-seeking returnees/investors, shortlist the iconic Rotherham Hotel: a hidden gem oozing country charm on the busy Hanmer Springs to Kaikoura State Highway 7 Alpine-Pacific Triangle route. This business is the hub of the thriving Amuri dairy community and boasts multiple revenue streams. It’s brimming with potential for the savvy buyer shrewdly weighing up options in a Covid-coloured world.”
Owner’s Successful Business Model
The current owner has steered his historic country hotel through challenging market forces in the last decade by adding new strings to his bow. In addition to the core bread and butter business, he’s successfully cultivated the campervan dollar by landscaping a spacious camping ground. He’s also capitalised on an emerging NZ coffee culture with a raft of barista coffee sales. The upshot? He’s moved with the times and reaped the rewards. By adding modern houses to his portfolio he’s expanded his accommodation business at upper price points while retaining an enviable reputation as “the contractors’ choice”. His response to Covid-19? He pushed the envelope still further. Hooking into the “buy local” mantra, in Spring 2020 he rolled out a garden centre and vintage gift shop in his historic Old Stables (1878) building and grounds under “The Trading Post” branding. This substantial property comes in three titles and includes two standalone residences
so options galore.
- Newly refurbished spacious Hunting & Fishing themed (1 a.m. licensed)
- Public Bar comfortably seats 50 patrons;
- Separate beautifully presented formal restaurant seating 20 diners;
- Spacious dedicated additional function room with attractive garden views
- accommodating larger parties;
- Off Licensed bottle store;
- Beer garden and fully licensed private function area in historic Old Stables
- 5 bedrooms (3 doubles and 2 singles) in hotel main building;
- Attractively landscaped campervan park with 2 powered sites and up to a
- further 8 non-powered sites;
- 7 outdoor chalets (1 ensuite) served by dedicated shower and toilet facilities;
- Charming standalone 2-bedroom (+sleepout) cottage and modern 4-
- bedroom house adjacent to main Rotherham Hotel on a single title.
- Bare land (3 quarter acre sections) ripe for cultivation or further
business expansion plans;
- Productive sizeable vegetable garden/mature fruit trees with 2 large
- greenhouses supply the kitchens with seasonal fresh produce;
- Newly launched garden centre and vintage gift shop perceived as a gap in the market and projected new profit centre;
- Established pool of 11 loyal staff;
- This beautiful character property has been well maintained by the current
- owner during his tenure and has benefited from substantial internal
- redecoration/refurbishment in keeping with the period features of this
- classic 1930’s building;
- Both houses have also been completely refurbished/redecorated to
- capitalise on the Airbnb market achieving “Superhost” status.
This all adds up to a one-of-a-kind property for a returnee, investor, would-be publican to buy into and live the rural lifestyle dream in this close-knit township. The Rotherham Hotel is more than just a thriving going concern country hotel, it’s been the “hub” and beating heart of the Amuri basin since the pioneer days of the 1870s. It’s time for a new chapter in its history for a new owner to make their own mark in the 20s (and perhaps) beyond to its centenary in 2032 (the year of rebuild). So, as you weigh up your own options in this Covid-coloured world, consider this: the walk-in ready Rotherham Hotel is a business with the risk-reward balance on its side. With its location, bare land and buildings and local goodwill it has far more still untapped potential up its well-turned sleeve to be unleashed by the shrewd entrepreneur who takes it forward.
Rotherham is a charming rural village with approximately 300 residents in the wider district. It is located in the Hurunui District of North Canterbury in New Zealand’s picturesque South Island and lies between Waiau in the North and Culverden 10 kms to the South on the Inland State Highway 7 Alpine-Pacific Triangle.
Re: location, pivotally, Rotherham lies just 37 km just 25 minutes drive from the Hanmer Springs Alpine Village resort so is well placed to benefit from passing trade between there and Kaikoura to the North. Since its establishment in the late 1870s, Rotherham has been the “hub” of the Amuri basin area. Government and private capital investment in the late 1980s Amuri Irrigation Investment Scheme has been a positive market force as the Rotherham Hotel has capitalised on the dairy dollar boom especially since the 1990s’. Amenities in the township include the Amuri Health Centre, Rotherham School, Rotherham Community Pool, the A & P Showgrounds, Rotherham Hall and historic Rotherham General Store also founded in 1878.
For more information or to arrange your private viewing, please contact specialist Accommodation Business Broker, Dilan De Silva, on 027 444 9692 or email email@example.com.
Interested In This Opportunity?
Contact: Dilan De Silva
Dilan De Silva
Licensed REAA 2008
Broker Ref: 32747